Monday, January 09, 2006

The Christmas Tree Syndrome

It happens to us every year. It's harvest time for our Christmas Tree. We go to the tree farm reminding ourselves over and over that the tree we choose will look at least three times as big indoors as it does outdoors. We look for the unloved, puny, Charlie Brown Christmas tree. (I like to rescue everything that needs rescuin') We find it! The most forlorn, pathetic and miniscule tree on the farm. We slaughter it and haul it home knowing that we are taking it to a better life. We get it in the garage and it is enormous! The most majestic, luxurious piece of greenery in all the land. It is a perfect specimen of Noble fir which needs to have about four feet hacked off before we can even get it through the door.

Now, the point of my story (and I do have one) is that I experienced the Christmas Tree Syndrome during an after Christmas sale at Macy's . I have been in need of a new purse for years. (And a wallet for that matter but that's another story.) I am not sure why I have waited so long to acquire a new handbag. I'm not sure if I don't care or if I care too much. Either what I have is good enough or I cannot find one that is good enough. I am nearly incapable of making any kind of decision. When the bagger at the grocery store asks "paper or plastic?" I either stare at them in disbelief as if they have just asked me for the meaning of life or respond blandly with "surprise me." Oh yeah, the purse...so I choose the only one of it's kind on the sale table, it looks a little lonely and a great find at more than 50% off and say to myself "that'll do." I get it home and it is about the size of a Samsonite pullman! I lugged that thing to and from work today and will continue to do so for years to come. I can fill up with more stuff that I don't need.

1 Comments:

Blogger Griz said...

Yes, the syndrome USUALLY lives on in our pet choices too. Dexter, the pointer, is a huge 7 year old gimpy puppy. Too big, but so very nice. I'm still not sure how we lucked out with Gary. Maybe she's the exception that proves the rule?

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home