Monday, May 29, 2006

Too Fat to Ride a Horse?

My mom says I'm too fat to ride a horse. She says it would be a mean thing to do to a horse. But apparently saying mean things to your daughter is okay. Cuz who's gonna tell you if your own mother doesn't? Funny, I think I could have gone my whole life without the knowledge that I am too fat to ride a horse. Surely somewhere on this planet there must be a cowboy that weighs more than I do. Or a corpulent sheriff ? I'll bet Hoss (may he rest in peace) weighed more than I did. His horse seemed fine. Aren't horses classified as "beasts of burden" anyway?

In Scotland, at the Queens summer residence, Balmoral Castle, you can rent a cottage and a mountain pony. They have a weight limit for riders of their ponies (and these are PONIES, mind you) of 14 stones. This is about 215 pounds I believe. So the Queen of England thinks I'm not too fat to ride one of her own personal horses! I had better get there fast because I don't know how much time I have left before I am to fat to ride a queen's pony. If I go today there will be no issue...but in two years...well, I can't be held responsible for what happens between now and then.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you right your mother could probably have more tact in her manner but she does have a good point. A horse may be called a beast of burden as you put it but that is not to say that he should be abused or injured by us smarter humans doing something dumb to him does it. Certain horses like people are stronger than others broader backs stronger bones and more muscled. Draft horses and ponies tend to be far stronger and more capable of carrying larger weights than say a thoroughbred. Most owners can judge what is the maximum a horse can carry and you should be considerate to the animal if you wish it to carry you with out a fuss or danger to you or him. I have seen heavy riders mount to weak a horse and seen the horse revolt by bucking so beware not all will tolerate the load well either. You shouldn't say that who knows you're not responsible for your weight in two years only you can chose to eat healthy and excercise to maintain lower or increase your weight. If you truely wish to ride you may have to kindly work with a barn that has horses suited for you and you may consider working towards lowering you weight if its what you want for yourself. Remmember you have to be happy it's not your mothers tact or lack of that will change you but your desire to become what you wish to become. You can suceed at anything in this world if you want to work for it. good luck to you

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, that last line is a bunch of crap. I've seen far too many people do everything "right" and not lose or even gain. Weight loss is not a simplistic formula.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home